Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do I take care of an injured chipmunk?

This morning, when my mother was leaving for work, I saw that my cat had something in its mouth. I got closer and found that it was a chipmunk. I made her spit it out and I picked it up with an old shirt. I used to have a hamster and I still have the cage, so that's what it's in right now. It's got water and plenty of room for now. The only problem there seems to be is that it has no use of its hind legs. They may be broken, or possibly just paralyzed, but I'm unsure of how to properly care for the animal. What sort of food should I give it and how do I take care of it?How do I take care of an injured chipmunk?
I would put it out of it's misery!





Fastest way to kill it is to snap it's neck.





Or have the cat finish what it started.How do I take care of an injured chipmunk?
Call animal control and get in touch with a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. Legally you can't keep it or try and care for it - only licensed individuals are allowed to care for and rehabilitate wildlife.





Chipmunks often carry diseases communicable to humans - including bubonic plaugue - so you should not handle it but turn it over to the pros.
omg an hurt chipmunk?!?! i love squirrels and chipmunks! my grandma saved one that fell out of a tree she fed it milk to drink and nuts like acorns you find maybe buy some kind of food im sure they have it somewhere! maybe you can take it to the vet im sure they can help! if you don't have the money ask your parents. i would to it to save a little Chipmunk. poor thing.......
The best thing for the animal would be to give it a peaceful death. But if you are adamant about keeping it, you must, MUST, take it to a vet for shots. And for some stupid reason, it is illegal to keep them, you need a license. For food, give it seeds from local plants and trees. To take care of it, as I said, license, gloves, you need to get it vaccinated and cleared of disease. Best of luck!
Okay, first I'm going to point something else out to you: pretty much the only way a cat could have gotten a chipmunk is by going outside, correct? So I'm assuming you have an indoor/outdoor cat? Just so you know; the average life span of an indoor/outdoor cat is 2-3 years, but the average lifespan of an indoor cat is 14-20 years...


Anyway, back to the chipmunk...I'm not completely sure, but I thought I read something saying it's illegal to have a wild animal in your care...? Maybe that was just for birds...? I can't remember... You really need to call animal control or a wildlife organization. The chipmunk's life may depend on it...





Good Luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment