Sunday, February 7, 2010

Is there a safe, nontoxic way to get rid of a chipmunk that won't hurt my dog?

I have a chipmunk that is pushing plants out from underneath the ground, by the roots and destroying my plants. Is there a way to get rid of it that is safe and not toxic for my dog?Is there a safe, nontoxic way to get rid of a chipmunk that won't hurt my dog?
I second the trapping and relocating method. Chipmunks are cute, but they can be very destructive. We had the same problem and we relocated ours to a woods at a nearby reservoir where they can't do any more harm to out landscaping. We used oatmeal in our traps.





Another suggestion is to use fox urine from a hunting supply store on the areas where they are a problem. Fox are the natural predator of chipmunks and if the chipmunk think there are fox in the area, they will clear out. We didn't use the fox urine method because we also have bunnies and no garden for them to destroy, so I didn't want to care away the rabbits.





Also, to the person a few answers up; chipmunks aren't toxic to dogs, but if you were trying to poison them, that could be:)Is there a safe, nontoxic way to get rid of a chipmunk that won't hurt my dog?
Why on earth would you ';get rid of a chipmunk?';





they're the cutest things on earth!





Poor wildlife creatures are forced to move closer and closer to humans because humans have put highrise apartments and shopping malls right smack where they used to live.





It ain't THEIR fault, you know. The poor guy's just trying to get by.





But here is a way to encourage your chipmunk to move to an area away from your plants - hang a birdfeeder somewhere completely removed from the area where those plants are. Fill it with black oil sunflower seeds.





Not only will you get lots of beautiful, fun-to-look-at, singing companinsions to visit you, but the spillover of seeds will draw the chipmunk over there.





They LOVE the seeds.





P.S. I have several chipmunk families which have been visiting my feeders for over a decade at the place I'm living now. I adore them -- I sometimes have a little chat with them on Saturday mornings while having my coffee on the deck.
a rather large rat snake could take care of it....





I have chipmunks and have yet to see one lift a plant by tunneling.... that is usually the moles.... and voles..... don't blame the chippies!..
you can trap them and take them to the woods.is what we did. we used pea nuts in the trap.
We don't have chipmunks here,but you learn something every day,I didn't know they were toxic to dogs.Thank you.
Air rifle?
shoot his little @$$ when when you catch him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment