Friday, February 5, 2010

Found a Chipmunk, what do I do with it?

K, I was getting out of my dad's car at my friend's house. My dad pointed out the chipmunk just sitting by the door. I go up to it after he leaves, and It moves over to me. I go up to my friend's door, and she comes out. I show her the chipmunk and she said that it might have a broken limb. She comes back out with a cat carrier and a towel. Her mom told us to use the towel to put the chipmunk in the cage and bring it in. We gave it bird food and some water and a towel to rest on, What should we do with it?Found a Chipmunk, what do I do with it?
The chipmunk needs to be looked after with someone who has experience in caring for wild animals, especially if he/she is injured!





You have done well so far providing it with water/food/bedding. It is probably in shock (surrounded by all these strange people!) so find another towel/bedsheet and cover the cage. The dark will help him/her feel more secure.





Then ring around local groups such as the wildlife rescue/spca etc. Anyone that you can find in your local phone book. It doesn't matter if you can't figure out which is the ';right'; one to call as any of them should be able to give you the number of people who can help, even if they can't.





Best of luck and thanks on behalf of the chipmunk for helping out a fellow creature :)Found a Chipmunk, what do I do with it?
call the animal control officer (usually) at the police Station, they will advise you...but, mostly they are open monday thru friday.





the other option is to call your local vet and find out if there is a wildcare facility in your area that takes in wild animals....I have brought a baby rabbit, a dove, and a bird to this facility and they save almost all of them but the dove...


May God bless your sweet heart to help a defenseless animal, just hold on perhaps until monday am...






I had a similar situation with a baby bird. All I did was put it in a large cardboard box and feed it regularly until it was old enough and healthy enough to be released back into the wild. I recommend that you do the same.





Best of luck!
Get the number to an exotic vet nearest you. You can do that either online or by calling your local vet. There's definitely something wrong with the little guy. I'd have it checked out asap, though...
take it to a vet, or somewhere where they take care of animals! or, take care of it until it is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment