Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do I save this chipmunk?

My cat brought in a chipmunk from outside last evening and since it was alive I decided to nurse it back to health but then i realized that the cat had bit the chipmunk around the back on his legs, and on his stomach (the bites to his legs are pretty deep, but the one on his stomach isn't deep at all). He hasn't eaten, but I'm keeping him warm. I gave him a slice of a pear, a few almonds and some sugar water. He drank the sugar water. Please help me keep him alive, he's really cute, and I'm not gonna let him die.


Thank you.How do I save this chipmunk?
Check your phone book for an animal rescue group or call the game warden in your area. Wardens often are called upon to rescue animals and they may have a contact list of agencies willing to take on such a difficult task of nursing an injured animal. Cats often have bacteria in the mouth and on their teeth called Pasteurella that can cause a blood poisoning in your victim.





You need to be careful handling the chipmunk in that they are likely to have fleas which can carry and transmit bubonic plague.How do I save this chipmunk?
Aw, poor chipmunk. That's very nice of you to take it in like that. I've had similar experiences with mice, birds, rabbits etc.


Anyways, your best bet would probably be to continue what you're doing now. You could try to bring it to a vet, but chances are, they won't be able to do anything. And even if they can, they probably won't do it for free.


Just make sure it's warm, and it's drinking. It will probably start to eat eventually.


Good luck
heyy.. i just had the same experience!! my chipmunk got hurt in his lower spot and on his arm ): i cleaned his wounds and hes drinking water but not eating. the best you can do is do what you are dong right now. also, put some home remedy into your water. trust me, it will help.
you could take him to your vet and they could try. But when something that small gets hurt it's really hard to get them healthy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment