Sunday, February 7, 2010

Is it normal for a chipmunk's fur to come out when you grab their tail? And will it do permanent damage?

A chipmunk got into my house earlier today and I am totally against traps or killing them so with the help of my cat (only to trap it in a corner) I was able to catch it. But I grabbed it's tail (like I do with the mice that occasionally get in my house) and all of the fur came off of it's tail. I freaked out and threw a shirt over it and let it loose outside. But will it be okay? I know it's a stupid question but I'm really worried about it.Is it normal for a chipmunk's fur to come out when you grab their tail? And will it do permanent damage?
Yes it is normal - it is their last way of getting rid of predator that has grabbed them. From chipmunks point of view , losing fur and skin of the tail is much better than being eaten. Many other animals do this - squirrels and gerbils are best known examples.





Tail may grow some sort of skin , although it will never be the same. But chipmunk will live.
  • real world myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment