Friday, February 5, 2010

Where can I buy a chipmunk?

Yes I know, some of you may think that chipmunks should be left in the wild and should stay there(but get your facts right, domesticated chipmunks, when brought up after their weaning period, are basically the same as ferrets, mice, rats, and other small, common pets...besides the fact that many consider chipmunks as pests rather than pets) So please, leave any resentment and ill-tempered manners out of your comments. I am simply wondering where I can buy a chipmunk.








-I am aware that chipmunks as pets are illegal in some states but they are legal in New Jersey...and do not require a permit in NJ.Where can I buy a chipmunk?
I'm not sure where in NJ exactly you can find domesticated chipmunks, but your best bet is from a breeder or exotic pet store. Unfortunately, doing a google search though doesn't lead to any good prospects, which has me thinking that there aren't any good choices out there for the new jersey area. Since chipmunks are rather rare as pets, I'd think a breeder would have a website. That's just me though. There are some forums you could post a request for a chipmunk on though, and maybe that might work for you.


http://board.pets-buynow.com/Exotic_Pets鈥?/a>


http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.c鈥?/a>





I found this excellent resource regarding chipmunk care: http://www.filemanage.co.uk/pubs/Exotic_鈥?/a>


http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/la鈥?/a>


http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellit鈥?/a>





Lastly, chipmunks while legal, are rather difficult to care for in comparison to other small pets. Chipmunks have been known to live 15 years in captivity. They require lots more space to be happy than what you would normally provide a gerbil (probably even more than rats). So large in fact, that people recommend housing them outdoors.





Most pet chipmunks do not like to be handled and will bite, never really ending up ';tame.'; They have to be handled from a very young age to even end up receptive to it. Additionally, finding a vet who will be able to properly care for a chipmunk, a very very rare pet, is even less likely. I have a hard enough time finding a vet who can properly care for my pet rats, and they are far more common.





Hope that helps and good luck.Where can I buy a chipmunk?
DO NOT BUY A CHIPMUNK PLEASE! Chipmunks in captive last a very short amount of time and by very short i mean a VERY short time. Also sorry to break it to ya but there isn't any places to buy wild rodents like that. Sorry about that. The closest thing to a chippi would be any other rodent. Again sorry. Good luck!
I think it is just fine to have a chipmunk as a pet and I really think before waisting your time looking and asking for places,you should check online.Google it or something.But they should have chipmunks in any local pet store.

No comments:

Post a Comment