Sunday, February 7, 2010

I just got bit by a chipmunk, what should I do?

I was in my backyard and noticed a chipmunk climbing our shed trying to get away from my cat. I noticed he might have already been bit by my cat, so I picked the chipmunk up off the shed and carried him away from the cat. I was going to put him back in another tree, but he climbed up my arm, into my hair, and when I tried to get him out, he latched onto my index finger and chomped down for like 5 seconds. I finally got him off... My skin isn't broken, I'm not bleeding, but it is still sore (it was like half an hour ago). Actually it looks like there may be a TINY area of possibly broken skin... I washed it well, but should I put a band-aid or anything else on it? We have alcohol pads... Do you think I should get a rabies test? I'm not sure if it was just a scared baby or rabid adult b/c chipmunks are all so tiny anyway... It's 4:30 on a Saturday afternoon, no doctor's office around here is open till Mon. and I really don't wanna have to go sit in the ER for 6 hours.





Should I be worried? How should I take care of it? Any signs or symptoms I should watch for?I just got bit by a chipmunk, what should I do?
Chipmunks only very, very rarely carry rabies (http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/鈥?/a> ) and if the bite didn't break your skin even if it did have rabies you would probably be ok.


Is your tetanus shot up to date? Even if the chipmunk was not rabid, you can still get an infection from the bite.


Are your parents home? Do they know what happened? Tell them you were bitten by a chipmunk and let them see the bite. I would perhaps have them phone up your local hospital and see if the hospital staff think you need to come in and get a tetanus or rabies shot.
  • real world myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment