Friday, February 5, 2010

Why did my chipmunk die?

There was a chipmunk living around/under my house that I have been feeding for the last year- I know it was the same one because its tail is kind of deformed. He's kind of been my ';surrogate'; pet. we had a horrible rainstorm yesterday and I found the chipmunk just laying in my garden when I went outside to survey the damage. I thought it was dead, but it was still breathing. It was absolutely soaking wet, but it wasn't in/near any water, so I didn't get why it would just be laying out in the middle of a storm like that. It didn't look injured or anything, but it was barely moving. I didn't know what to do and it was late at night, so I made a kind of enclosure that he could leave from if he wanted to, but that would also protect him from any more rain/wind. I also put a little washcloth over him because he was so wet. I checked on him a few hours later and he was still breathing but not moving. The next morning he was dead when I went outside. I was planning on calling a local wildlife place if he was still alive, so I'd know what to do. I feel really bad about it, and don't understand what happened. Can chipmunks get flushed out of their burrows or something during a storm?Why did my chipmunk die?
I'm so sorry to hear that, its so sad. Do you have any cats or snake or other predator animals in your neighborhood? I would imagine it was chased out by something, or else it would have never left the shelter of under-the-house. If it was attacked it could have sustained internal and not external injuries. Or it could have been old. If it's burrow was under the house, and it got flooded, I would imagine it would stay under the house where it is drier.Why did my chipmunk die?
call a pet store, how are we the average person, supposed to know how your chipmunk died.

No comments:

Post a Comment